What do you call hundreds of people on the streets for a good cause? We call it the Annual Help the Homeless Community Walk and we are thrilled to present this year’s walk on Saturday, October 25th.
This is the 15th year that Pathway Homes has been involved in the Help the Homeless Community Walk campaign to aid homeless individuals in Northern Virginia. The annual fall walk has become a Pathways’ tradition, and our most anticipated fundraising event. Now that fall is here, you know you can look forward to cooler nights, pumpkin-spiced everything, and this one-day opportunity to do a very small thing to make a very big difference for the homeless in our community.
“We are so excited to present this event each year,” says Sylisa Lambert-Woodard, President and CEO. “Our Help the Homeless Walk is a perfect example of how the community comes together to make a difference in the lives of its citizens. We can transform challenges into opportunities. Each of us has an important role to play in giving homeless men and women in the region not just a hand up, but also hope for a better future.”
The theme this year is “Use Your Feet to Lend a Hand.” Says Lambert-Woodard, “We chose a theme that points out the simple ways that you and I can help solve a community problem. The idea of homelessness may seem like a huge problem and difficult to solve in that context. But by focusing our thoughts on lending a hand to someone, and the simplicity of walking, we focus our efforts on real people, not just the problem. Then you begin to understand the impact of even the simplest efforts. That’s why I encourage people of all ages to come together for this one day in the fall to make a lasting impact in the lives of others.”
The walk begins and ends at Stevenson Place at 4113 Stevenson Street in Fairfax. Check-in for the event begins at 9:00 am; opening ceremonies will begin at 10:00 am, and the walk will leave the starting line at approximately 10:20 am. Registration is $30 for adults and $20 for youth aged 17 and under.
Here’s how YOU can be part of the excitement:
- Participate! Register to walk and ask your friends and family to join you!
- Facilitate! Provide a scholarship so residents can join the walk to raise awareness for their needs and the needs of those that are still waiting for services. Make a secure on-line donation or send a check, payable to Pathway Homes, to our administrative office, 10201 Fairfax Boulevard, Suite 200, Fairfax, VA 22030
- $30 provides a scholarship for one resident
- $300 provides a scholarship for 10 residents
- $3,000 provides a scholarship for 100 residents
- Donate! Provide critical funding for supportive services by being a “virtual walker”. Make a secure on-line donation or send a check, payable to Pathway Homes, to our administrative office, 10201 Fairfax Boulevard, Suite 200, Fairfax, VA 22030 to help those who battle every day to remain stay or get into permanent stable housing.
- Like, retweet, and share Help the Homeless Walk postings on your social media platform(s) to spread the word! Use the Share & Comment bar at the top of this article to get started.
Over the last 14 years, this fall event has raised nearly $400,000 for Pathway Homes, providing direct funding for the critical housing needs of people with mental illnesses. Nearly 200 people participated in last year’s walk, raising $25,000 to provide critical funding for supportive services. One hundred percent of registration fees and donations in support of walkers go directly to support Pathways’ residents in their housing and supportive service needs.